Commentary and Articles
- Maiorana, V.P. (2018). Reform and The Failure of Roteism Instruction. Education Week, November 28, 2018. Reform efforts fail in the classroom and in textbooks because they do not address entrenched Roteism instruction. RI goes against the natural grain of how the conscious human mind critically engages the world and its subject mater. RI is self-defeating of teacher educators, school and college faculty, all students, and textbook authors. Roteism instruction must be minimized in favor of a pedagogy for critical instruction. https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/11/28/the-failure-of-roteism-instruction.html
- Maiorana, V.P. (2018). The Stuff Our Books Are Made Of – Part 1. Textbook and Academic Authors Association, November 20, 2018.There is terminological chaos in the education culture.https://blog.taaonline.net/2018/11/the-stuff-our-books-are-made-of-part-1/
- Maiorana, V.P. (2018). Why Textbook Authors Should be Using Critical Instruction Pedagogy. Textbook and Academic Authors Association, August 30, 2018. Most school and college faculty use textbooks as the basis for discussing new and revisited subject matter. But textbooks induce rote learning and defeat the natural science of how the conscious human mind thinks and learns critically. Developers, authors, and publishers of textbooks in all its forms should be using critical instruction pedagogy. https://blog.taaonline.net/2018/08/why-textbook-authors-should-be-using-critical-instruction-pedagogy/
- Maiorana, V. P. (2018). You’re teaching subject matter wrong. Education Week, January 2, 2018. Rote instruction won’t cut it anymore in our fast-paced world; it’s time for critical instruction, writes …https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/01/03/youre-teaching-subject-matter-wrong.html?qs=maiorana
- Maiorana, V. P. (2018). The critical need for critical instruction. Education Week, Published in Print: as the critical need for critical instruction. February 2, 2018, Vol. 37, Issue 19, Page 26. …roteism practice not challenged in recent AACTE report…https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/02/07/the-critical-need-for-critical-instruction.html?qs=maiorana
- Maiorana, V.P. (2014). Lesson plans versus reliance on rare ‘Teachable Moments’ … Where would we be if our doctors, engineers, and lawyers only had “medical,” “engineering,” or “legal” moments? Education Week Articles, Published in Print: as Lesson plans versus reliance on rare ‘Teachable Moments’, November 4, 2015, Vol. 35, Issue 11, Page 20https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2015/11/04/lesson-plans-versus-reliance-on-rare-teachable.html?qs=maiorana
- Maiorana, V.P. (2013) – Teacher training needs new focus. Education Week Articles, Published in Print: as Teacher Training Needs New Focus, January 2013, Vol. 32, Issue 18, Page 22. https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/01/23/18letter-1.h32.html?qs=maiorana
- Maiorana, V.P. (2011) – Commentary Lacks Classroom Perspective. Education Week, Published in Print: as Commentary Lacks Classroom Perspective, December 7, 2011, Vol. 31, Issue 13, Page 33. https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2011/12/07/13letter-7.h31.html?qs=maiorana
- Maiorana, V.P. (1993). Reforming American education. The Wilson Quarterly, Spring 1993. https://www.jstor.org/stable/40258711?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contentshttp://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/dc8f3d4b-89d6-4fe0-a5ca-14fc76939909/downloads/1c7i5scak_735317.pdf
Maiorana, V. P. (2018). You’re teaching subject matter wrong. Education Week, January 2, 2018. Rote instruction won’t cut it anymore in our fast-paced world; it’s time for critical instruction, writes …https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/01/03/youre-teaching-subject-matter-wrong.html?qs=maiorana
- Maiorana, V.P. (2018) – Strong evidence: the impact of roteism instruction on teacher education, and school and college teaching and learning. Based on Chapter 6 – Evidence of How the Issues Bock Critical Instruction and Learning, in Maiorana, V.P. (2015). Fixing Instruction – Resolving Major Issues with a Core Body of Knowledge for Critical Instruction. Lanham, MD: Rowman Littlefield.
- Maiorana, V.P. (2007) – Subject Matter DNA. Long Island Education Review, The Long Island Education Review. Spring, 2007.
- Maiorana, V.P. (1985) “The Critical Thinking Dimension of John Dewey and Its Impact on Teaching,” Educational Dimensions. N.Y. State Association of Two-Year Colleges. Educational Dimensions, Issue Five …https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED264923
- 1985 – Procognitive Individualized Instruction. VP Maiorana – 1985 – ERIC ABSTRACT The facts and ideas of subject matter are of little or no value unless such facts
and ideas are used to promote thoughtful discourse. Those who teach with this idea in mind
can be said to be thinking-skills centered or procognitive; those who teach without this idea https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED271094
- An Instructional Design Innovation: Why not Use Systems Analysis to Teach Systems Analysis?VP Maiorana – Journal of Computer Information Systems, 1985 – Taylor & Francis Victor P. Maiorana (2016) An Instructional Design Innovation: Why not Use Systems Analysis to Teach Systems Analysis?, Journal of Computer Information Systems, 26:1, 1-3, DOI: 10.1080/08874417.1985.11646777Viewed psychologically and not simply linearly [ie, as output-input-process) the cycle is the essence of systems analysis problem solving cycle itself, data flow diagrams, systems flowcharts, or structured
English, the IPO paradigm [which as mentioned above is actually thought of as OIP) is at the…https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/08874417.1985.11646777
- Maiorana, V. P. (1998). Cognitive Grammar – An International Language for Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing. Language and Communication in the New Century. The American Society of Geolinguistics, New York.
- Maiorana, V. P. (1996). “A Constructed Grammar of Subject Matter.” Constructed Languages and Language Construction. The American Society of Geolinguistics, New York.
- Maiorana, V. P. (1993). Language and the Analytical Classroom. Language in Contemporary Society. The American Society of Geolinguistics, New Yolrk.
- Maiorana, V. P. (1991). Purposeful and Transformational Teaching and Learning. On Long Island – Telecare TV Channel, Television interview with Fr. Thomas Hartman, spring, 1991, Garden City, New York.
- Maiorana, V. P. (1991) “The University Classroom of the Future, Teaching that Matches the Challenge of Change.” A paper delivered at the International Conference on The Future of the University: The Challenge of Change in Europe and America, University of Perugia, Parma, Italy, September 20, 1991. Published in 1991: “L’insegamento visuale: un’ innovazione per tutti.” L’Universita. Periodico D’Informazione Della ‘Ateneo Di Perugia. Anno IX – N.10, Ottobre, 1991.
- Maior ana, V.P. (1990). “Reinventing the Profession by Teaching Subject Matter and Critical Thinking at the Same time.” In conference proceedings Teaching as a Creative Activity, The International Society for Exploring Teaching Alternatives, Indianapolis, October 1990.
- Maiorana, V.P. (1985). “How to Spark Interest and Promote Original Work in Term Paper Assignments.” Queensborough Review – A Journal About Writing, Spring, 1985.